Monday 24 January 2011

A big soup cookathon

Today I have been mostly... cooking! Just lately I've gotten bored of sandwiches for lunch, and finding a shop bought one to eat on my break at work is surprisingly tricky if you want to find something a) not too expensive b) without loads of fat c) preferably vegetarian (I'm not a veggie, but I try to avoid eating meat every day... call me a part-timer). I want to make a special effort in the new year to eat well, and decided that the best way for a busy person to make sure that they have something lovely for lunch is to cook it up yourself at home and freeze in batches to have when you want. I trialed it last week and found that it was pretty tasty, and kept me full until dinner time. And the best thing about soup is that you can endlessly vary the flavours! The varieties I made today were: courgette, green lentil, celery, pea and lettuce (with herbs and lemon zest thrown in for good measure); and the second was mushroom, leek, parsley and borlotti beans. I like my soup smooth so unfortunately it looks like greenish sludge when I'm done but still tastes good.



No comments:

Post a Comment